My granddaughter just turned six which got me searching through the photos of our recent time together. They illustrate diverse aspects of her personality and the reasons I'm so utterly in love with her.
Six of my favorite things about this lovely, dear child:
1. She confidently walks her own path in her own way. She reminds me of her mother in that way which makes my heart happy.
2. She's always up for grand adventures.
3. She likes going to the beach, likes to run and likes to swim after diving wholeheartedly into whatever water is available. It's how she lives her life, too, come to think about it.
4. She likes to play with dolls (and wear aprons and make a pretty tote bag) and lets me play with her.
5. She likes art- drawing, using pencil crayons and painting with vibrant colors. Her creativity extends to clothes designing and we have such fun doing this together. My mother, her great grandmother, loved clothes and fabric, designed and made clothes for me throughout my childhood, and had a keen eye for color and design. It brings me great pleasure to see this sense burgeoning in my granddaughter.
6. She picked my birthday bouquet while we were on one of our adventures. She's surprisingly thoughtful that way.
It's hard to stop since there's also her zany sense of fun, like wearing a butterfly crown in the belief that she's really a princess, or putting stickers everywhere including on her grandfather's iPhone, or wearing tattoos wherever anyone will draw them on her, or leaving little love notes where I can find them and have my heart warmed…
If the child is mother of the woman, she's on a good path. She brings a unique mixture of her ancestors expressed in a sassy but sweet self. May her journey contain all that she needs to grow into her full, beautiful self and offer her the ways to share her gifts with the sweet face of mother earth. Earth needs her gifts.