14 July 2014

Awaiting Return




Swallows swoop the sky at sunset,
ride currents on curved wings, slice the firmament.
Do they await return, like me, or, because of my amazement,

write sky script meassages with hidden meanings,
that mark how far apart we are? Me, an earth-bound being unable to fly 
or follow instincts toward home, they who own the sky.

My wait has been long.



Written for Grace's prompt yesterday which introduced the poetry of Claribel Alegria to the Imaginary Gardens with Real Toads. One of Grace's suggestions was to take a line of her poetry and use it in our own poem. I took two lines: "because of my amazement" from her poem Rain and "My wait has been long." from Sorrow (after reading Kerry's comment). I'm a little slower so I post it today for open link Monday on their third anniversary. 
I took the photo in a garden in Ireland.

20 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful poem! It has the feel of a sevenling (without the final line) - both stanzas come out with a strong description as seen with a poet's eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was unfamiliar with a sevenling until I read your comment and looked it up. I like it and I added a seventh line as a narrative summary, one from Alegria's poems: Sorrow. Thanks, Kerry.

      Delete
  2. This really is a beautiful write, has such a great 'feel' to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often look at birds in flight and grieve I have no wings....a beautiful piece

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had them in great flocks in our area flying their graceful flights just off our balcony with the mountains in the background. I've been watching them.

      Delete
  4. love the thought of them writing hidden messages in sky script....
    on how far apart we are def gives it some weight as well...
    nicely done mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's how they appear as they swoop left and right like cursive flights.

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of the sevenling form with that final line from Claribel ~ You have captured the essence of waiting, those that own the sky, and those that are earth bound ~ Lovely work, thank you ~

    Wishing you happy week ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciated being introduced to a new poet and a new poetry form so thanks for the prompt.

      Delete
  6. This is absolutely gorgeous. I wish that I had written it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Flying would be such a release.... Birds are specially blessed i feel... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. "slice the firmament"... "write sky script messages" are just two of the beautiful phrases that jumped out at me. Lovely, lovely write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. Just a terrific poem, Mary. The slicing of the firmament is so like swallows as is the sky script. And the longing so palpable. Terrific. K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just what they do, isn't it? Oh yes, the longing...

      Delete
  10. There is a sense of eternal forces at work here--the simple, declarative style works magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you picked up on that. They came every evening for about three weeks and seemed to be harbingers of things I needed to understand better.

      Delete

Let's chat.