06 May 2015

Good- Bye for Now


Our apartment here in Italy is under contract and we hope to close in July and head back to the states. What a grand adventure these last six years have been. Living in Italy immersed in another language and culture, traveling around Europe, making friends internationally, getting better acquainted with our extended family in Ireland is one of those life- changing, deeply enriching experiences that has forever changed me and my world view. From what I thought this might be to what it has been is so much more, so much richer as to be a whole other reality. My imagination was way too puny.

So, while I yearn for home, I am grateful to my Honey for working in Europe and inviting me to all the places he's traveled, to our friends here for making it all possible with friendship and generous assistance whenever needed, and to our family who only supports us and cheers us on despite not having us nearer. Altogether, and with our own bravery, it has meant an extraordinary opportunity in this, the youth of our old age. I've taken the first steps into retirement and into elderhood; I welcome the next stage.

I want to focus on the process of packing, saying good-bye to our friends and wrapping up our life here. I'm taking a break from my blog, which I started when we decided to move to Italy, while I do this. The next stage will be different in ways I can't imagine and will call for changes in my blog that I also can't imagine. Becoming acquainted with this virtual world of writers sharing your lives and considerable skills has been an amazing door opener for me. You've been my mentors, my inspiration and support in my efforts to stay conscious and write it down. I thank you. I wish you smooth journeys.



28 comments:

  1. Wishing you a smooth transition in another of life's journeys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy trails, wherever you go. I look forward to continuing our chats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As do I, Rosaria. I feel so grateful to your lovely land for all it has taught me. Now to bring all this to my tribe to broaden the conversation.

      Delete
  3. I can hardly wait to follow the next chapter of your life's adventures! Be well and best wishes for a good transition to life back here in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Thank you for your kind wishes, Kathy.

      Delete
  4. I look forward to the "new" blog and the next stage in your life, Mary. Safe travels! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm playing with it in my mind at this point. I'll see what manifests.

      Delete
  5. wow - a big step ahead of you here - wishing you all the best for the move and hope to see you on the flipside.. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mary--many congratulations. I can hardly imagine what a big step moving to Italy must have been and what a step leaving is. I hope you don't abandon your blog--your outlook is always interesting and your poetry is wonderful--the bone poems and all of them. I always look forward both to your work and your input on mine. Take very good care, and let us know what's what. k. (Manicddaily)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both steps are huge. I appreciate your encouragement, Karin, and plan to keep writing and staying plugged into the blog world. I can't wait to see what's what.

      Delete
  7. Another large transition. Traveling mercies on your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I loved your post on keep it simple and then enjoy it. Good approach to life.

      Delete
  8. Safe journeys, Mary. See you on the other side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed you will and I'll look forward to it, Mary.

      Delete
  9. "...the youth of our old age. I've taken the first steps into retirement and into elderhood; I welcome the next stage." How I love these words, Mary. They speak of a kind of natural happiness that can't makes the heart more alive... even just to watch is invigorating.

    Be safe. Have fun in this transition. And when you get home, tell us all about it! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...home- ah, a beautiful word. Yes, I'll tell you all about it. I'm excited.

      Delete
  10. You are wise to respect the fact that a big transition takes a lot of energy and attention. (I'm making only a small one and didn't plan a hiatus but my blog has been silent for nearly two months now.) I wish you the best, and look forward to your return to blogland. Meanwhile I hope I'll see you in Dragonville!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed your silence but presumed all is well since I meet you in the vale. Yes, let's continue that. It continues to delight me.

      Delete
  11. I hope the transitions are going well. I hope to see you back in the blog world at some point. I understand taking the leave of absence at times. I do the same thing. Truly, I wish you only the best. Until later...

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like a wonderful adventure. I admire your spirit of both adventure and equanimity. Thanks. k.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Smooth journeys to you too and I hope your new ventures are as enjoyable as your Italian sojourn.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope the sailing is smooth ~

    ReplyDelete
  15. When we first met out here in the ether, I think you had just moved to Italy. And now you are headed back here to the States. I know you must be torn between being reluctant to leave that bautiful country and happy to be returning to this one. Best wishes for a smooth transition, Mary. I hope we can meet again on this side when you are settled. Will that be in Jacksonville?

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's been such a blessing to follow your journey, thank you for sharing. Wishing you transitions as smooth and adventurous as you need them to be, with safe arrivals to each of your destinations. (Selfishly, I also hope your next chapter involves blogging!) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You inspired me to run -in my mid-50s - thank you! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Recently have been encountering Carl at birding, field naturalist and permaculture events. Saw your daughter at this last one and asked for news of you. Glad to hear that all is well and looking forward to reading your inspiring words again.
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat.