10 November 2012

History is Made - the New Democratic Caucus


I feel happy about this and proud to be a small part of this important result. It may be a form letter but look at the sentence in bold print. Just look. The future is here, at least in the Democratic Party. Brings  new meaning to representative democracy. It makes it real at last, almost. How about a time when the entire congress is this representative? Of us. All of us. Together. As the grandmother of bi-racial, bi-cultural grandchildren I welcome this, feel grateful and giddy about this. As my grandson, then age 6 said at Obama's first election: "He's just like me!"



Letter received from Nancy Pelosi:

Mary --

I wanted to say thank you for your support and enthusiasm.

Republicans had promised to make double-digit gains. Instead, we picked up at least 7 seats and were able to roll back the Tea Party wave.

Next week we will welcome a new Democratic Caucus where -- for the first time in Congressional history -- the majority will be women and minorities. We expect to have 61 women, 43 African Americans, 27 Hispanics, 10 Asian Americans and 6 LGBT Americans in our Caucus.

Our larger, more diverse Caucus -- at least 200 Members strong -- will play a greater role in support of President Obama and our colleagues in the Senate. We pledge to work alongside the President and stand ready to work across the aisle to move our nation forward and address the American people’s top priorities: creating jobs, growing the economy, strengthening the middle class and protecting Medicare.

We remain focused on reigniting the American Dream, building ladders of opportunity for anyone willing to work hard, take responsibility and play by the rules.

Thank you again for your tremendous support.

Nancy 



24 comments:

  1. I keep celebrating all over again when I see statements like this pointing up different aspects of what was won and what is possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't read anything about the caucus makeup until this letter and this is exciting news!

      Delete
  2. This gives me hope! And bless you, Mary, for staying involved even though you could just wrap yourself in your Italian Eden and watch us sink from afar...we're floating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been able to do that. I love my lifestyle here but I'm American as are my daughter and grandchildren. I want to preserve their right to choose where they want to live in the future and have it be a place to welcome them, accept their contributions and be a true home to them. It seems possible now.

      Delete
  3. That's wonderful news, Mary. I didn't know the makeup of the Democratic Caucus and it's almost as exciting as knowing that we will have twenty (20!) women in the Senate! I'm proud to have voted for marriage equality in my state, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary,

    Like you, I'm so excited about the election results, and the makeup of the Dem. Caucus is such a bonus. I am so grateful and still haven't totally absorbed the wonderful news. I'm new to your blog but have enjoyed reading it very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome and thanks for dropping by. Sometimes the good news gets lost but I wanted to shout this one out!

      Delete
  5. Oh, my. I had no idea about the Democratic Caucus. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know- why aren't we hearing about this in the news? It is big news!

      Delete
  6. What wonderful news! I've been delighted over the election results, but was also not aware of the makeup of the Democratic Caucus. It really is the dawning of a new day in the U.S. with such diversity at last in areas of power. I'm so glad you're still so involved, Mary, despite living abroad. Thanks for sharing a piece of really good news!

    ReplyDelete
  7. smiles...that is a beautiful sign of the times....very cool....

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for the wonderful comment at dverse this evening...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All true. It's good to be able to say good things directly to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Yes, although this has received no news coverage that I've seen. Isn't this good news?

      Delete
  11. Congrats. That is such a sweet story of your grandchild. Have you seen the pictures of Obama with children - so cute. It's called if you want to look it up, something like Obama Being Adorable with Adorable Children. It is really extremely cute. k.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's wonderful, isn't it? I hope they can do some good. But I'm discouraged by the the fact that Olympia Snow of Maine, who is one smart cookie, retired because she was fed up with beating her head against a wall. She said, "I just can't take it anymore." Disheartening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived in Maine and really liked Olympia Snow. The new representative in Angus King, also an Independent, who was Governor of the state. He did a great job and has decided to caucus with the Dems. I think he'll carry on her good work.

      Delete

Let's chat.