18 November 2012

November Weekend Update


How we do November here in Italy- the bougainvillea keeps blooming, the begonia which I cut back has sprung forward again and I replaced the fall decor with the winter decor despite all this and then celebrated the change by having friends over for dinner. The moon eclipsed, the air is slightly colder at night which makes it nice for running in the morning, the last of our hot peppers have been harvested.







We're back with our splendid Italian tutor after a break while traveling and today I read an article in Italian and summarized it. The article described a French movie, Amour, which tells the story of a couple in their 80s and their struggles as the wife has a series of strokes and develops dementia, won at the Cannes Film Festival and is now on my must see list. Check it out.

Finally, I'm reading a wonderful book by Carolyn G. Heilbrun- The Last Gift of Time, Life Beyond Sixty. I somehow missed it up to now although it was published in 1997. It's one of those books that I can't wait to open in the morning and then re-read passages because of the sheer pleasure of how she writes. Is there anything lovelier than good writing?  She gives her perspective as a woman in her 70s  on aging and its rewards. Gorgeous, grown up stuff.

This morning it started to rain. The chives caught the first drops.


24 comments:

  1. I read that book, Mary, and then I got on line to find out how she died. She committed suicide at 77. She lived life just the way she wanted, and she died the same way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that. I wonder what she would have written about her 70s?

      Delete
  2. Ah,books and movies about growing old! I shall put these on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read another review of the movie that said it's a masterpiece.

      Delete
  3. I just ordered the book on paperbackswap.com. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look up paperbackswap- sound good.

      Delete
  4. I'm looking on eBay for the book. I shall not watch for the movie, which sounds as if it would inspire me to follow in Carolyn's footsteps immediately after viewing it.
    Your table looks so festive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the movie, just read the reviews, but I'm interested in how our contemporaries are coping.

      Delete
  5. I will add that book to my list. Good writing is an inspiration in itself, isn't it? Love your photos, especially the chives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I went out on the balcony this morning and saw them I had to grab my camera.

      Delete
  6. I've heard of this book before. I will have to check it out. I loved your photos. Interesting what we see and what we miss. I was caught up in looking at the flowers and missed the chives. I will have to go back for a second look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chives held the dew which turned to rain so it's worth a check.

      Delete
  7. Love the photos you shared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From my little corner of the world… to yours.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a pretty great life! k.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just gorgeous. All of it. November blessings showering down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to you- enjoy your babes (aren't they always?) and new home!

      Delete
  10. ah your november is still full of color and beauty...miss my pepper garden...pretty cool when you find books like that as well, thank you cant wait to read a bit more of...smiles...have a wonderful start to your week...

    ReplyDelete
  11. My little corner of the world appreciates the bit of your corner of the world that you've been able to share with us. And the chives look cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My upstairs neighbor loves our chives as does her husband and son- they hadn't had them before but this plant just keeps on giving. Happy Thanksgiving, Lou.

      Delete
  12. the book sounds awesome...and i can imagine how beautiful italy must be at this time of the year as well..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I posted this the weather has changed to rain and fog. Oh well, we need the rain, too.

      Delete

Let's chat.