13 December 2013

Dear Rosaria



Dear Rosaria,

You kindly asked about my life here in Italy. It embarrassed me and gave me the push I needed. It has been a while since I wrote an update but it's not as simple a question as it once was which is perhaps why I haven't. My first years here were full of newness- new country, new language, new friends, new culture so different from what I was familiar with. My gypsy soul loved it all. Whatever the challenges, surmounting them was heady stuff. My world became so much bigger and I became a citizen of that world. Gladly. You know that feeling you get when you're in the right place at the right time with the right person? I felt like that. For the first four and a half years. And then I didn't.

It's hard to pinpoint the precise time or reason. Like so many things it started as a small thought in the back of my mind, barely there, and me, barely aware. But it grew. Became a full grown idea and then crystalized as a longing for home. I've been a wanderer, a seeker, for years now and I feel rich and full from all I've seen and done...but I'm not home. Not among my tribe. Not where I want to be. I know you love my stories of Italy and the savoring of life here that I've shared. But I want to go home and plant my roots there, deep in the soil of my home's earth. I must do this.

I told some others that I want to be closer to my family and that's certainly true. As I get older, (68 in two months! Can you believe that?) time with them is more and more precious. But since you've asked (twice) what's going on with me, I want to let you know that this move is really about me and the yearning I feel. Seems like it's time for me to stay still, listen deeply and let all these experiences become part of the warp and woof of who I am.

I'd like it to be part of a neighborhood as diverse as my family has become so they feel welcomed and mirrored. I look forward to being part of a running group that includes older women, a writing group that welcomes poets and a volunteer group responsive to the needs of our neighborhood. You know me, I'm still the girl with a protective arm around her brother and her hands on her hips ready to fight for what's right.

So, thanks for asking again. I needed that nudge to acknowledge what's true for me just now. I sense the care behind your question. I appreciate it, and you. You're a good friend. I'm grateful.

Love,
Mary

Gay Reiser Cannon at dVerse Poets Pub in Form for All wrote about hearth, home and common speech. She asked us to bring our writing back home and keep the vocabulary personal. Mine's not a poem but it's all about home and was sparked by a friend's urging.

22 comments:

  1. I like your vision of home. Bringing all the richness of your travels with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my deep wish to bring this richness to fruition.

      Delete
  2. You are going to embark on yet another adventure, in moving "home". Will that be in the USA? Did you choose a state? We are close in age, I see, and I write poetry too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, home is the US. I've lived on the east coast, west coast and mid-west but a good bit of my family is now in FL so I'll settle there.

      Delete
  3. This is really beautiful, and profound, Mary. I think you have said it all, and you didn't belabor any of it, just spelled it out. I know so much more than I did about your journey from this post. All I can say, is thank you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice thing to say, DJan. This has been a while coming.

      Delete
  4. smiles..i think it the perfect response...a letter feels of home itself...but i know the yearning as well..even for us wandering spirits...ha....i have learned the value of being close to family and of taking roots as well....i am glad this move is for you....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brian. As dVerse Poets changes, please know how important it has become to me.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes after a while away a person appreciates the value of the old familiar home turf. I am sure you have thought about your move back long and hard, and if it feels right in your heart, it IS right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's right and I feel such gratitude for all I've been given in these moves, not the least of which is the value of perspective.

      Delete
  6. I guess home has a pull on even the most determined wanderer. I like that you're looking for a running group. Running is one of those things that keeps life bearable when it isn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like there's a story behind your words. Yes, running has become an essential part of who I am and how I stay centered even though I just started in my sixties.

      Delete
  7. This is a beautiful saudade, and bless Rosaria for the nudge, and you for listening to your soul. What do you model for us if not following your heart? Its voice might give a new message, that change is needed. I appreciate your vulnerability.

    So, are you moving?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned a new word from your using saudade- thanks. It took two nudges but I knew I needed to write about this. Yes, I'm moving but the timing depends on when we sell our apartment here and the market is slow. Hopefully, this coming spring.

      Delete
  8. I love the listening part...and the "warp and woof of who I am"...at this stage in our lives, it makes sense to perhaps be a bit less adventurous. The letter form makes this poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or our adventures take a different form- inward rather than outward. I'm not familiar with letter poems but it seemed like the best form to use.

      Delete
  9. never too old to move on... refreshing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, yes, I know that pull. Glad you are following your heart, continuing your journey as it needs to continue. When we stop searching, we have not arrived, but we have rusted in place. As for me, a new grandbaby is on his way; and the family is anticipating the tidings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gratitude for new life is a great way to celebrate the holidays. Blessings on you and your family, Rosaria.

      Delete
  11. this moved me... i totally want to live in a foreign country for a few years even though i can imagine that it is challenging and magical to equal parts... yet...the longing for home... yep... deeply felt and good to be closer to the fam for sure..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the beginning the challenging outweighs the magical but after the first year it's the other way around (mostly!). But the expansion of all that makes a person richer is worth any price. Do it.

      Delete

Let's chat.