10 April 2012

Embrace What Is





SEE WHAT IS

For us, as people sitting here meditating, as people wanting to live a good, full, unrestricted, adventurous, real kind of life, there is concrete instruction that we can follow, which is the one we have been following all along in meditation: see what is. Acknowledge it without judging it as right or wrong. See it clearly without judgment and let it go. Come back to the present moment.

From now until the moment of your death, you could do this. As a way of becoming more compassionate, as way of becoming less dogmatic, prejudiced, determined to have your own way, absolutely sure that you’re right and the other person is wrong, as a way to develop a sense of humor, to lighten it up, open it up, you could do this.

Pema Chodron



I've been setting this as my goal each day lately in an effort to stay in my now as a retired woman, and look what happened. I've been asked to come back to Crossroads in Antigua to work for six weeks. Crossroads is Eric Clapton's drug and alcohol residential treatment facility where I worked for 2 1/2 years and consulted for short stints in the last couple of years. Check out the hotlink above to see more about beautiful Crossroads and their world class treatment program.


I leave early tomorrow and feel so glad for the opportunity to do the work I believe in with the clients I've devoted my professional carrier to. If that isn't enough, I'll be with my dear friend since 1987, Annee, who will be working there as well. Indeed, she was the one who introduced me to Crossorads. Bless her!


Another chance to become more compassionate, less prejudiced and dogmatic, To lighten up , to open up and to help others do the same. As one who wants to live a full, unrestricted, adventurous, real kind life, I'm grateful and amazed. I'll keep in touch.

15 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful time; we'll look forward to hearing all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful thing to be able to do, Mary. Thank you for doing it, and I also look forward to hearing your stories. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just wonderful! I checked out the hot link. I wish I could have sent my daughter there. I wish she would have been serious about wanting help. May you help many while you are there. My you also reach all those goals you have expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a nice trip, Mary! And thank you for the stimulating text by Pema Chodron. It's true:it is important to "refresh" one's perspective in seeing life, otherwise we risk losing part of its richness.
    Take care of yourself, and practice your Italian, please...
    A hug.Ciao, Marcello

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy journeys, Mary. Post pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, a wonderful interlude, for something you believe in and are good at. Have a wonderful journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sally, I wish that as well. It's a devastating disease but treatment is available and it works.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marcello, Prego. Pema Chodron is a great inspiration for me; a wise woman. Certamente studio Italiano!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat.