23 April 2012

Healing Landscapes

"Tribal people have known this for millennia, sensitive as they are to the healing properties of landscapes- those that teach us our limits. Contemplating the sacred balance of wild terrain of the seas is recognized as therapeutic, restoring the inner geography of the soul."
(The Solace of Fierce Landscape: Exploring Desert and Mountain Spirituality by Belden Lane)



I caught the best part of the day yesterday at the local beach, Half Moon Bay. It's secluded and gorgeous. The water is warm enough to just walk right in, bob around and talk with my friend, Annee, to my heart's content. It was a restorative way to relax after my first full week of work.






Crossroads also recognizes the healing terrain of the sea as therapeutic. This is the view of the bay today  from one of the porches. Just walking onto the campus is soothing.



The sea has always been a healing landscape for me. What about for you?

12 comments:

  1. Oh yes, always. That's one reason we decided to retire near the water. Of course, it doesn't look like THAT beach, but we have them and they are healing for me, too. Glad to hear you are relaxing after a week of work! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not many beaches look like this but each has their allure.

      Delete
  2. I do find the sea to be healing for me. My special place is the lower arm of Cape Cod ... it is place for me of family and growing up of laughter and contemplation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ocean, the hills . . . any of it. It all changes constantly and stays the same. Very . . . reassuring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Whenever I needed to find peace and clarity, we drove down to the sea and spent hours just walking and staring and listening to the waves. I now can do this without the driving part. I can look at the waves from my bed in the morning.
    Lucky we are when we can embrace nature and be restored by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at it from your bed must be fabulous! Sometimes it's only in nature that we can be restored.

      Delete
  5. The sea is definitely a place that invokes healing and peace for me. I have lived landlocked for all of my life. I so treasure the times I can look out to the sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember living for 5 years in Nebraska and having the expectation as I crested any hill that I'd catch a glimpse of the sea as I had always been close to it up to then. Took me a while to realize that's what I yearned for.

      Delete
  6. Amen, Ditto, Yes and all other terms of agreement. I need some sea in my life...now! ha

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat.