09 April 2012

A Listening Pleasure: Pearl Fishers Duet



Today, Easter Monday, is a holiday in our little corner of the world. A day to be with family and friends and go hiking or walking in nature. It has turned cold (49 F) so I'm listening to music, including this gorgeous duet, with a hot cup of tea.

My friends and former next door neighbors, Margaret and Malcolm, professional opera singers both, consider this song to be the most beautiful duet for the human voice. I offer it for your listening pleasure.

It's "Au fond du temple saint" from the opera The Pearl Fishers by Georges Bizet. Jussi Bjorling (on the right) is a famous tenor from Sweden and Robert Merrill (on the left) is a baritone from Brooklyn and an international star of the Metropolitan Opera of New York for 32 years. They were personal friends as well as professional singers with glorious collaborations. Crank up the volume and be swept away.

7 comments:

  1. I am familiar with this aria, because David and I saw a live performance of the opera in February here in Hawaii. It was our first time seeing it. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know this one, but it certainly is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I relish it each time I hear it. Glad you enjoyed.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful. Love Bob Merrill....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, Mary. It's the perfect accompaniment to tea.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat.