08 October 2011

The Books You Love


Live for awhile in the books you love. Learn from them what is worth learning, but above all love them. This love will be returned to you a thousand times over. Whatever your life may become, these books—of this I am certain—will weave through the web of your unfolding. They will be among the strongest of all threads of your experiences, disappointments, and joys.

Viareggio, April 5, 1903
Letters to a Young Poet
Rilke


I just read the post on Synch-ro-ni-zng about Ruth's excitement of sharing wonderful books  with her yet to be born grandson. It's delightful with her choices and her joy and her anticipation. Memories of doing that with my grands flooded through me. Those exact books and more  and how much we loved them together and how we snuggled and they'd squeal or cry or laugh or beg to have it read again. And then this quote  of Rilke rang so true.  Because it keeps happening all through our lives.


Have books changed your life? Of course. Share them with your grands, or adopt a grand to read to or a whole Kindergarten class in your area. Pass this love on to the next generation. It will change their lives, too. 
Books "will weave through the  web of your unfolding" .




11 comments:

  1. Books have always been my favorite gifts to my granddaughters. Even though they have always lived at a distance from me, I have enjoyed shopping for and sending them books. At Christmas, especially, I get so much pleasure in looking at the "best books" for children lists for that year, and selecting the perfect titles for each one. Thanks for a thoughtful post! Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just yesterday I was reminiscing about my own learning to read, back in the 1940s with "Dick and Jane." I can STILL remember seeing the pictures and realizing I could read the stories myself. It was transforming.

    My own son had to be corralled into bed and books always did it. Of course we both loved Dr. Seuss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie, Welcome and thanks for stopping by. I like the "bests" list, too, as well as some book reviews on blogs I follow. What a gift you give your granddaughters.

    DJan, I remember Dick and Jane and baby Sally and Spot! My daughter and then my grands loved Dr Seuss (me too). We had all his between our two houses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of my best friends are books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, the beautiful books that get passed around! All my books are passed around to and from my children, and grandchild. When we visit each other's houses, we take, we share, we recommend.
    I found lots of my books when I dismantled Brian's house, books I had forgotten about. His friends and siblings took them, asked if I minded. I was happy to see them/the books, pass on and enrich others. I'll never forget how "Peace like a River" became a favorite of mine, then it became Brian's most recommended book to his friends for a while.

    Thanks for such a wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh happiness. Just the thought the one person wrote a book, one story, and it ripples out to tens, hundreds, thousands even millions of readers, and down through generations! It's a wonder. For me, the illustrations are what draw me first and stay with me long after. Thank you!

    What a great photo. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rosaria, Lots of passing around and oohing and aahing and did you read this and the kids loved this. Good ones enrich us all and draw us together. How sweet that you found treasured books at Brian's. What a nice young man he sounds like.

    Ruth, Isn't it amazing? And the little ones coming along are part of the wondrous ripples. The illustrations are usually fabulous, watch for the Caldecott winners for some beautiful art. I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Books are one of my favorite things to share with my grandsons. I must admit that while the books are great, the snuggling together as we peruse them is the greatest perk of sharing the stories. At least at this age.

    I clicked on over to Ruth's blog. What a great place! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa, The snuggling is great and still going strong even with our nine year old. We've met some wonderful people in these blogs, haven't we?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even before I could read, I loved to handle my father's paperbacks with their colorful covers. I always knew there were wonderful places and things inside those covers, and longed to have the key. I remember Dick and Jane so well, but the book that opened the door and lured me into a new world forever was Anne of Green Gables.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Patti, Anne of Green Gables was my favorite as a young girl too. My grandmother was from Prince Edward Island and I imagined her knowing Anne and me as part of their world. I shared the series with my daughter and then my grands - what a treasure!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat.